Friday, July 14, 2006

The Yellow Ball Syndrome (YBS)



My workplace has a pool filled with hundreds of multicoloured balls. One day, after discovering that one of the yellow balls had a hole in it, I set it aside for the usual 'repair' job (i.e. superglue and tape). However, when I came back for it, horror of horrors, it was missing! Believing that it got thrown back into the pool, I proceeded to pick out all the YELLOW balls one-by-one and put them into a basket. I know, I know, you're thinking I'm nuts right? That was my colleague's exact sentiments, calling it micro-management of the highest degree!

Admittedly, I do have an obsessive compulsive streak in me (a not-so desirable inherited trait from my dad's side of the family). But that aside, what personal revelation emerged from this incident?


1. I like reparing broken stuff instead of throwing them out

2. I think about 100 other things while rumaging through the ballpool (so it's really not a waste of time)

3. I get a great sense of satisfaction in finding lost/missing items (which accounts for the reason I like jigsaw puzzles)


This also brings to mind the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin and prodigal son. How the shepherd left the 99 to look for the one that was lost! I think Jesus knows all about repairing stuff too. He was a carpenter after all? And His specialty is in mending heart, over-hauling souls and renewing spirits (not some glue and tape job..thank God!).

P.S. I did find that yellow ball and fixed it!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home