Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dear Dad...(Part 1)


My dad is a man of few words. Our current communication can basically be summarised as follows:
90% of telepathic connection via the tv channels
5% of grunts of yes, no, hmmm, ah, see how and maybe
5% of deep, meaningful conversations about grandchildren, politics, wars, sports, books, movies and of course, the weather

I clearly remember those long minutes of silence, where you can hear the clock ticking, as my dad pondered on whether to grant me permission or give his blessing (e.g. for camps, holidays, overseas studies, car, house, business start- up).

In August 2005, my dad went for major surgery because of bowel obstruction. He was in pain for more than 3 months before the doctors finally found the root cause. But I was reluctant to give the green light. He was already 71 years old then, with hypertension, kidney problems and a long history of smoking. I wasn't sure if he would make it. However, God provided His assurance...the surgeon was an expert in this field, who came back to KL after 20+ years of practising in UK, the church pastor and friends rallied around my dad, I prayed with him for the very 1st time! It was kinda weird...but yet feels warm and fuzzy inside...it's difficult to describe, my mum ended up making friends with almost all the neighbouring patients and their families, which can be considered a very special gifting and skill indeed! And lastly, I wrote a long letter to my dad...(part 2)

Needless to say, my dad (and mum..cos she had to serve him hand and foot) survived the ordeal and is back on his regular diet of nasi lemak, you tiow and char kuey teow, much to my mum's chagrin! His philosphy being...what's the point of living if you can't eat food that you like? Ha ha...he's got a point there although I'm sure there are other more important reasons too. God causes all things work out for good to those who love the Lord...Let all creation praise Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home