Friday, July 21, 2006

Dear Dad...(Part 2)


After a long period of pen-man-ship silence, I decided to write my dear old dad a letter (the last being in 1992), about 4 pages long and with lots of spacing in between, on the day of his surgery. My mum said he read it...BUT I'm still waiting for a response...which I think will not be forth-coming in this life-time???

I thanked him for a wonderful childhood...although he wasn't always physically around, he provided the stability, assurance, safety for his family (like the time we were stranded on a fishing boat at Pulau Pangkor in pitch darkness). I never doubted his assistance IF I should ever need it. Here are some of the lessons learnt...both the easy and hard ways...

There was a period of time when my dad had to travel frequently. We would rarely hear from him since mobile phones and emails were non- existent then. One evening before he left for the airport, I said to him, "Dad, why don't you write to us like other dads do? Send us a postcard or something". So, a few days later, the postman delivered 3 postcards! We were terribly excited...we saw the palm trees, sunset and glowing beaches on the front...and when we turned them around...we read the following:

Dear Lu Lu, (blank) Love, Dad
Dear Lu Meng, (blank) Love, Dad
Dear Lu Sean, (blank) Love, Dad

We didn't know whether to laugh or cry...but as you probably guessed it, he never sent anymore postcards after that incident!

My dad is and always has been a very practical man. I recalled grumbling about our 'old junk' (i.e. the family car) because I was embarrassed that my friends should see me in it. I was going through the tough adolescent period, where being cool, status, looks, reputation etc. were important (mind you...there are people who never move beyond this stage..ha ha!). My dad pulled me aside and asked me 2 very important questions:
1) What is a car used for? Is it not to get from point A to point B?
2) Does our car still serve that purpose?
Not fair! He resorted to rhetorical questions! Anyway, he did eventually buy a new car...but only after many, many moons. By the way, the Volvo was the sturdiest car we ever had...my mum drove it into the front gate...the car survived without a scratch but the gate was left in a sorry state.

My dad does not give preferential treatment to anyone, regardless of whether they are VIPs, relatives, friends, taxi drivers or mahjong kakis. He behaves relatively the same way with everyone...with honesty and integrity...although he may be almost too blunt at times. People would probably call that being socially-challenged, but what I admire most is that my dad did not succumb to the pressures of 'carrying-big-leg' or 'giving-face' to advance his career. It reflects a man who is truly secured of himself and contented.

So when will someone like my dad see the need for Jesus in his life? I remember prayering ernestly to God in 1991 for his salvation. And nothing happened until 1997 when the stock market came crashing down. He lost a lot of money, although not everything, and was on the verge of serious depression. He couldn't sleep or eat well and was constantly pacing around muttering to himself...'I'm so stupid'...'Why didn't I sell?' etc. The only peace he got was when my mum or sister read the Bible to him (esp. Psalms) and he would doze off! Now, he finally had 'time' for God. Then a year later in 1998, he accepted Christ into his life...not only once, but 3 times! First was at home (Calvary Church came door-knocking), second in church (Hope Singapore) by raising his hand and third by going up to the altar (Hope KL). God's ways (and humour) are indeed higher than ours!

P.S. Found out from my sister that Dad keeps the letter in his briefcase...WOW! That's indeed an honour cos only the most important documents end up there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tricia said...

your dad's life is a great testimony, telling everyone else that miracles do happen still today!

5:47 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

I must have been too young to remember about the postcards.

Not sure if you were going to have a "part 3"...but i thought to add this....in 2004 he joined the baptism class at church. we weren't sure if he was just sitting in at class or he really was going to get baptised at the end of it (as mum said that he would sit right a the back, and not participate in any of the question-answer sessions). Then on 31st August 2004, he got baptised in Ulu Yam.

Dad doesnt smile that often, if he does, it would be a somewhat sheepish smile, but that day, his smile reflected so much joy, being there to witness that moment, had indeed been a great privilege.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home