Wednesday, October 21, 2009

2 Hours as a Hair Dummy..er..Model?

So there I was.. on my way home from work.. and about to catch the train at Orchard MRT.. when this gal approached me. Although the words 'No thanks' were already on the tip of my tongue when she asked 'Can you help me?'.. I decided to listen to what she had to say. Basically, she needed a someone to practice styling on before doing REAL models' hair tomorrow for a YSL fashion show. Apparently she had been trying to persuade someone (with long hair) to be her model for over an hour! So I thought.. why not help out a poor soul who's trying to make a living?

And that was how I ended up sitting in the chair and gazing into the mirror for the next 3 hours.. while they curled, ironed, yanked, combed, waxed, sprayed, powdered, tied and bunned up my hair. What did I gain from all this? I learnt that speed and precision matters (although not quite F1 pit stop standard) when you have to create a different look in 20 minutes.. and I did get good wash and blow dry at the end. These were the 3 styles (wish I had taken pictures)..

  1. Tight high bun with wig ala Marge Simpson hairdo.. this one was quite painful cos they had to pull my hair back real tight before tying it up. They also slapped on large amount of shiny hair wax to hold everything in place.
  2. Flatten top, side-parting, tapered around the face and curled ends at the back.. the stylist used this V-shaped thingy (not unlike the wires used for floral arrangment) to curl my hair and hold in place with the hot iron.
  3. Casual bun with bouncy top.. They used powder to matt out the earlier shiny effect and combed out the front to make it look fluffy. I think this was my favourite and maybe I will try to DIY one of these days?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home