Sunday, October 11, 2009

Justin's Half-Full Glass...

I think I'm experiencing what I would call the Post PSLE Stress (PPS) now.. especially with the incomprehensible Maths questions posted on blogs and ongoing debates on Razor TV etc. But my son who actually sat for THAT exam seemed pretty cool about the whole ordeal...

On the day before PSLE:
Me: Justin, I think you should revise your Maths formulas
Juz: No need lah.. I know them like the back of my head!
Me: You mean.. like the back of your hand?
Juz: Oh yeah.. hand (laughs)
Me: Ok, NOW I'm worried about your English paper

Right after the Maths paper:
Me: So how did it go?
Juz: Chicken feed.. I mean Paper 1
Me: Then Paper 2?
Juz: Ahh.. I tried all the questions but I don't think I got the right answers for the last few
Me: How many questions?
Juz: Maybe 3 or 4? But I should pass lah...

The night before the Science paper:
Me: Do you understand what are boiling and melting points?
Juz: Kind of...
Me: Explain which of these would be in liquid form in room temperature?
Juz: Dunno...
Me: This sentence is incorrect!
Juz: Hai ya.. this is Science not English exam lah!
Me: Eh.. you still have to use the right words to describe the experiments
Juz: My teacher said no need...
Me: * Faint* (Maybe I should have gone for the PTA meetings?)

A week after PSLE:
Me: Justin, you remember the chocolates and sweets question? Do you know the answer?
Juz: Yeah 68
Me: You mean you GOT 68??!! (Almost jumping for joy)
Juz: Ah.. no.. I got 60 something.. maybe 64 like that? I forgot already
Me: Oh.. (Hmmm.. close.. hopefully he will get a couple of marks for the workings?)

The culprit questions:
Jim bought some chocolates and gave half of it to Ken. Ken bought some sweets and gave half of it to Jim. Jim ate 12 sweets and Ken ate 18 chocolates. The ratio of Jim's sweets to chocolates became 1 : 7 and the ratio of Ken's sweets to chocolates became 1:4. How many sweets did Ken buy? Ans: 68 sweets

Mei and Lin were in a bicycle race. Mei was travelling at a constant speed of 20km/hr and they both did not change their speed. When Lin completed half the race, Mei was 3.5km ahead. Mei completed the race at 10.45am. What time did Lin complete the race? Ans: 11.06am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home