Monday, March 03, 2008

Conversion Story...

After more than 15 years of being in Hope Singapore, I've been finally asked to write my testimony.. ha ha ha! Very strange.. but better late than never I guess?
I came from a Methodist background (meaning my grandparents and mum belonged to that denomination) and went to church briefly during my Primary years and then the Youth Fellowship during Secondary School. I always thought I was a Christian cos I was 'born' into a Christian family. All those years I was under the impression that all 'good' folks went to heaven and 'bad' guys went to hell (well..you know..the murderers, kidnappers, arsonists, thieves etc)..and that was much more 'fair' verdict in my mind compared to the other religions. The idea of reincarnation wasn't too appealing..never knowing if I would become a cockroach in my next life and be stepped on..then turn into a parasite or something even worse than that..cos I didn't do much good as the former insect??? It was a downward spiral as far as I could see...
However, it was only at a 1983 Christian Union Camp when I realised that..not only was Jesus coming back a second time..but I just might get 'left behind' when the rapture happens. Now, that was quite a rude awakening for a 13 year old. So, that was when I said a prayer..asking God to come into my life and be my Saviour. And just in case that wasn't specific enough..I asked Jesus to take me to heaven with Him..no matter which came first (rapture or second coming)..I ain't gonna wait around and see what happens..ha ha ha!
But I was only serious with God much later..when I was living and studying in Melbourne. He gave me more insight, wisdom and understanding of the Bible..and I experienced a deeper faith, love and trust for Him. During that period of time, I also discovered and developed real friendships in church..(and eventually married one of those 'friends'). So right now, I can say with utmost conviction..that I have absolutely NO regrets saying that prayer some 25 years ago!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home